Caitlin in Cambridge

Chapter two of my international adventures and studies: More than you'll ever want to know about my life in Cambridge, England

Monday, July 03, 2006

the Cambridge curse

Since I've finished my dissertation (June 19th), I've had time to ponder the obnoxiousness of Cambridge. Of course it gets all lovely and warm and happy just as I'm ready to go home, so that I can't leave being annoyed with the place. In fact, I'm even considering coming back for my PhD (Am I that easily swayed by summer weather and a few flattering comments from professors? Evidently). This is the Cambridge curse. Though your year may have been rather hellish, your course schizophrenic, and the weather dreary, but in June as you gingerly hand your departmental secretary your lovely bound thesis, you can't help but be happy not only that it's over, but that you've done it!

Right, well I suppose I'll get on with what I've been doing since I handed in my thesis, as this is really what has been so nice and made me so happy. On the 19th, just after I handed it in (after a fight with Alzeena's departmental printer over page numbers and footnotes), Megan S. arrived! She was jetlagged and I was exhausted, so we celebrated with a little dinner in the backyard, a pint with some friends, and an early night. We spent Tuesday and Wednesday running about Cambridge, watching World Cup football, drinking shandies, strolling to Grantchester for a literary tea in the Orchard (with Christine and her cousin), getting sloppy drunk over wine in the Panton Arms where we discovered the meaning of life and how to solve all our sisters' problems, and exploring the nooks and crannies of Tit Hall's June Event (salsa dancing, food, pink drinks, cotton candy, and many, many gummy bears and pieces of Turkish Delight)...oh and the fake Michael Jackson!!!

Thursday, it was off to Heathrow to pick up Steph and find our hostel.... Then the power tour of London. At the Tower of London (looking for the Crown Jewels specifically, we learned firsthand about the terrible kindness of the Yeoman Warders (beefeater guys) who helped me find my lost jumper (sweater in American). Then we took photos of Tower Bridge (very cool) and London Bridge (not as pretty, but it has it's own nursery rhyme), then on to Big Ben, Parliment, and Westminster Abbey (with a big caffeine break in there). Megan's work buddy neer showed for dinner, so we ate lots at Garfunkels', had a beer at the hostel, and all collapsed in our beds at Wake Up! London....

Friday we did the city tour - Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Notting Hill, Picadilly Circus, and I'm sure I'm leaving some other things out... Friday night, we went to see Hay Fever - the play that Judy Dench is in!!! Dame Judy was awesome, and the show was really funny.

Sadly, Saturday Megan had to leave for home. Steph and I returned to Cambridge for a few days...where I'll pick up next time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home