Caitlin in Cambridge

Chapter two of my international adventures and studies: More than you'll ever want to know about my life in Cambridge, England

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Hockey

Well, having now survived two games (one in goal and one on the field) I think I can talk about my hockey career without jinxing it.

So it turns out that Trinity Hall (Hall or Tit Hall for short) has a women's hockey team (2nd division for the college league). And you can play no matter how terrible you are. Perfect for me! The rest of the team is a bunch of undergrads, who have been wonderfully welcoming and kind.

Our first game, last weekend, I played goalie because our usual goalie, Lizzie was ill. It was nice to get back in goal - brought back many fond (and some not so fond) memories of RBR field hockey (ah yes, here there's no need to add the field...it's the only kind of hockey there is!). We lost 1-0, but totally not my fault as it was evidently a 'rubbish' goal and I saved at least another 10 later in the game. Where was the offense? Wait, where was my defense?

Anyway, today Lizzie arrived as planned, so I was forced to give up the goalie 'kit' and play the field. I chose right back as being a moderately easy position where I'd see action, but not be in the thick of it all the time. Right, well the other girls on the team are fantastic and my stick work looks like that of a kindergartener compared to theirs. We played Queen's College, who are supposedly really great, but only 7 of their players showed up...so we crushed them 11-0. There is no mercy rule here evidently. I got to play half as well as back (what are they called in the States, again? Mid field!) because one of the girls playing half didn't feel like playing hard. Felt incredibly stupid because am not nearly as light on my toes as the others, but had a few good stops...and got extra points for commitment and spirit (not actual points...if that was so we'd have won by much more than 11!).

So, now that I've survived and played reasonably well (am definitely not the worst on the team), I can say that I am indeed an official member of the Trinity Hall hockey club/team. Besides, I think I amuse the other girls by shouting American field hockey terms on the field and by being this totally bizarre grad student who wants to play with them and doesn't mind playing goalie (which is definitely my best asset). Now, don't go finding cheap flights over to watch the 2nd division championship just yet...I still have to buy a mouth guard and shin pads...

1 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU played without a mouthguard and shinguards????Scary prospect. DG's team plays in the regional tourney today. They could use you in goal.....Maureen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home